Basic Flour Tortilla recipe
1.5 cups Plain Flour
3 tbsp shortening, lard or veg suet
1 tsp bicarb of soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 - 3 tbsp warm water
- Mix all dry ingredients together, then cut in shortening/lard/suet until well mixed.
- Gradually add water and mix until it forms a soft but not sticky dough
- Knead dough for 3-4 minutes
- Turn out onto a well floured board and cut into 6. Roll each 6th into a ball then roll into a circle making sure the dough is very thinly rolled.
- I find it best to use lots of flour at this stage to stop the tortilla from sticking to board or rolling pin!
- When you have your circle, transfer tortilla to a hot, dry pan and 'fry' until cooked 20 - 30 sec each side.